Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Associate of Applied Science degree in Business-Management prepares students for entry-level careers in business related occupations. The training provides broad and foundational business skills in managing business operations, including marketing, finance, personnel, team leadership, business technologies and business communications. The program emphasizes the five functions of management: planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling. General Education supporting outcomes include written, oral and interpersonal communications, mathematics, economics, psychology, social sciences, and ethics. Elective courses provide students with an opportunity to customize a degree to their career interests.
If the following profile describes you, then a career in Business Management may be in your future:
- I enjoy helping people solve problems to become more efficient workers by monitoring and evaluating performance.
- I want to understand the business environment and how businesses develop plans to be competitive.
- I am interested in organizing tasks that support a business plan, including developing budgets, managing operations, and tracking progress to achieve business goals.
- I am interested in starting my own business.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Plan and prioritize projects and tasks, including goal setting and resource allocation
- Organize roles, goals, procedures and relationships to promote organizational effectiveness and efficiency
- Direct individuals and/or processes to accomplish organizational objectives and effectively manage human resources, including recruiting, hiring and supervision
- Communicate business information effectively, with professionalism, tact, and diplomacy
- Control processes and demonstrate basic financial proficiency
- Establish and maintain business relationships with internal and external customers
- Design, implement, and assess business strategies based on consumer needs and market changes
- Recommend ethical and legal business decisions utilizing knowledge of business laws and governmental regulations
Students can expect many benefits from pursuing the Business-Management program at Blackhawk Technical College. For example you will find:
- A learner-centered environment that is conducive to learning entry-level career and technical skills
- Active learning through team projects and group activities
- Business leaders and professionals from the community are frequent guest speakers
- Career Center support services including resume writing and job search assistance
- Case studies addressing lessons learned from small businesses and corporate settings
- Company tours and on-site classes bring the classroom to the business world
- Employer sponsored Internships and other work-based learning activities
- Employer advisory committee input into program design and implementation
- Faculty designed hands-on curricula designed to address real-world business applications
- Faculty members certified by the Wisconsin Technical College System
- Faculty members with typically both advanced degrees and related work experience
Career Preparation Helpful High School Courses:
A high school degree or GED/HSED diploma is required. Courses in business, marketing, accounting, computers, mathematics, written and oral communications, and related co-op programs are helpful.
If you are interested in a baccalaureate degree upon completion of the program, check with a program counselor or advisor and the institution you plan to attend regarding the transfer of credits from Blackhawk Technical College. This program may transfer to one or more four-year institutions, but the amount of credits may vary.
Short-Term Credit-Based Certificate Options:
Lodging and Hospitality Mgmt (33 credits) 99-9124
Customer Service Associate (16 credits) 99-9130
Accounting Assistant (32 credits) 99-9101
Business Technology Certificate (28 credits) 99-9121
Students may choose to receive a certificate upon satisfactory completion of the required courses in the Business Management Associate Degree Program. With this certificate, you will be better prepared for entry level positions. Students selecting this option may return to BTC at a later date (in accordance with the College’s advanced standing policy) to complete the Business Management Associate of Applied Science Degree.