Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Associate of Applied Science degree in Business Management prepares students for entry-level careers in business-related occupations and to start their own business. The training provides broad and foundational business skills in managing business operations, including marketing, finance, human resources, accounting, project management, team leadership, business technologies, and business communications. The program emphasizes the five functions of management: planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling. General Education supporting outcomes include written, oral and interpersonal communications, mathematics, economics, and psychology.
If the following profile describes you, then a career in Business Management may be in your future:
- I enjoy helping people solve problems to become more efficient workers by monitoring and evaluating performance.
- I want to understand the business environment and how businesses develop plans to be competitive.
- I am interested in organizing tasks that support a business plan, including developing budgets, managing operations, and tracking progress to achieve business goals.
- I am interested in starting my own business.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Plan the operation of a business across functional areas
- Organize resources to achieve the goals of the organization
- Direct individuals and/or processes to meet organizational goals
- Control business processes
Students can expect many benefits from pursuing the Business-Management program at Blackhawk Technical College. For example you will find:
- A learner-centered environment that is conducive to learning entry-level career and technical skills
- Active learning through team projects and group activities
- Business leaders and professionals from the community are frequent guest speakers
- Career Center support services including resume writing and job search assistance
- Case studies addressing lessons learned from small businesses and corporate settings
- Company tours and on-site classes bring the classroom to the business world
- Employer sponsored Internships and other work-based learning activities
- Employer advisory committee input into program design and implementation
- Faculty designed hands-on curricula designed to address real-world business applications
- Faculty members certified by the Wisconsin Technical College System
- Faculty members with typically both advanced degrees and related work experience
Career Preparation Helpful High School Courses:
A high school degree or GED/HSED diploma is required. Courses in business, marketing, accounting, computers, mathematics, written and oral communications, and related co-op programs are helpful.
If you are interested in a baccalaureate degree upon completion of the program, check with a program advisor and the institution you plan to attend regarding the transfer of credits from Blackhawk Technical College. This program may transfer to one or more four-year institutions, but the amount of credits may vary.
Short-Term Credit-Based Certificate Options:
Business Management (33 credits) 99-9110
Project Management (11 credits) 99-9133
Students may choose to receive a certificate upon satisfactory completion of the required courses in the Business Management Associate Degree Program. With this certificate, you will be better prepared for entry level positions. Students selecting this option may return to BTC at a later date (in accordance with the College’s advanced standing policy) to complete the Business Management Associate of Applied Science Degree.