Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Network Specialist Associate of Applied Science Degree prepares students for a career in computer network support and integrated technology in order to meet business demands for information sharing. Students receive training in network design, installation, troubleshooting, administration, and management. IP Telephony technologies are introduced in the second year.
After completing this program, the student will have covered basic topic areas needed for the MCSA, Net+, A+, CCNA and CNA certifications.
If the following profile describes you, then a career as an Information Technology Network Specialist may be in your future:
- Have you taught yourself about technology in order to fulfill a personal goal such as creating a blog, a website, or a database for your movie collection?
- Do you feel you have to have the latest technology?
- Do you insist on setting-up your own computer network at home?
- Do your family and friends come to you for computer questions and you like it?
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Design a complex network to efficiently facilitate the flow of information using current LAN/WAN technologies
- Configure network equipment
- Manage desktop operating systems and software
- Manage network operating systems
- Apply systems analysis and design
- Troubleshoot complex LAN/WAN issues
- Create, maintain, and update system documentation
- Manage an Information Technology project from inception to implementation
- Utilize structured programming principles in the creation, editing, compilation, and execution of computer programs
- Utilize an industry-standard relational database management system (RDBMS) to illustrate an understanding of data design and data access
- Analyze and secure network systems to prevent unauthorized access
- Design IP Telephony Systems for the enterprise
Helpful High School Courses:
- Keyboarding and Software Applications
- PC Hardware Installation
- Internet Applications
- Web Page Design
- Algebra and math
- Business and information technology
- English and Speech