The Legal Administrative Professional Associate of Applied Science Degree prepares students for employment as skilled assistants in law offices, legal firms, government offices, insurance agencies, real estate agencies, title companies, corporate offices, banks, and other organizations needing employees who have some substantive and procedural knowledge of the law. Legal Administrative Professional students have the opportunity to learn oral and written communication skills, legal office procedures and techniques, document formatting, file management, and legal research. Special emphasis is placed on legal vocabulary, document preparation, case management, ethics, and confidentiality. High-level skill development in keyboarding, English, and word processing is an important part of the program.
If the following profile describes you, then a career as a Legal Administrative Professional may be in your future:
- I find laws and regulations to be very interesting.
- I like to be challenged by focusing on procedures and specific details.
- I love the variety of working with legal documents and technology applications.
- I enjoy using my detail-focused brain in my job for scheduling, research, reports, and more.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Prepare legal documents from a variety of sources common to law offices and other agencies involved in legal transactions
- Draft correspondence to handle routine matters
- Proofread materials for proper English, accuracy, and clarity
- Develop interpersonal relationship skills, including greeting clients, answering the telephone, and applying ethical rules
- Maintain routine law office financial records
- Process incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Prepare citations using correct Blue Book format in legal memorandum and briefs
- Follow procedural steps appropriate to calendaring/docketing procedures
- Use appropriate technology to prepare legal documents and perform legal research
- Use advanced word processing techniques to design documents
- Prioritize daily activities using Outlook and other resources to manage a legal office and personal work efficiently
- Use proper legal terminology and legal procedures in class discussions and document preparation
- Manage electronic and paper-based information to maintain neat and organized files and client information