Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Medical Administrative Specialist Associate of Applied Science Degree provides educational opportunities for those interested in working wherever knowledge of medical terminology and professional procedures and ethics are required. Examples include physician practices; large healthcare and allied health organizations such as clinics, hospitals, and foundations; insurance companies; medical publishers; research organizations; and medical product manufacturers. Medical Administrative Specialist students receive specialized training in medical ethics, records management, medical terminology, human anatomy, health insurance, medical billing, medical transcription, coding, and MS Office Suite software.
If the following profile describes you, then a career as a Medical Administrative Specialist may be in your future:
- I am fascinated by medical terms and procedures.
- I enjoy researching for details and compiling reports that require sound reasoning.
- I like the idea of working in the healthcare field in an office setting.
- I love working with technology to produce excellent documents and records.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Use computers as tools for solving problems, collecting data, managing and communicating information, presenting ideas, and making decisions
- Apply analytical skills in solving problems, collecting data, managing and communicating information, presenting ideas, and making decisions
- Use appropriate English skills in written and oral communications and in listening
- Demonstrate the medical legal aspects of healthcare office practices including confidentiality of health records, release of information, patient s rights, health records as legal evidence, informed consent, malpractice, agency, physician and employee liability
- Use reference materials to research information
- Apply medical language and AHDI formatting guidelines in all written communication
- Produce quality medical documents
- Demonstrate the following professional traits while working in a healthcare office environment: dependability, punctuality, responsibility, acceptable appearance, sound judgment, ethical behavior, flexibility, and adaptability
- Use all forms of telecommunications effectively
- Demonstrate effective communication skills integral to maintaining rapport with coworkers and clients
Helpful High School Courses:
- Touch keyboarding skill of 30 wpm or higher for 5 minutes with 5 or fewer errors. Keyboarding, Skillbuilding and Keyboarding Applications courses are available at BTC.
- Business English (grammar)
- Keyboarding, Computer skills (word processing, etc.)
- Biology, Science related
- Health related, Medical terminology (would be helpful)
- Accounting, Math