The Culinary Arts program combines elements of artistry, science and business skills to prepare you for an exciting career in Food Service. You’ll study principles of food preparation, quantity production, equipment layout and operation management skills.
Students are involved in preparation and serving experiences in the food service lab and receive additional opportunities in catering, ice sculpting and food presentation.
The Culinary Arts program at Blackhawk Technical College has been honored by the Wisconsin Board of Vocational Technical and Adult Education with the Exemplary Educational Service Award. The Blackhawk Technical College Culinary Arts Program is accredited by the American Culinary Federation.
If the following profile describes you, then a career in the Culinary Arts may be in your future:
- I love to experiment in the kitchen.
- I like it when people enjoy the food I make.
- I am interested in food service and creating excellent dining experiences for customers.
- I can see myself managing all the areas of a restaurant including menu planning, hiring and training staff, budgeting, and food safety.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Enforce health and safety standards
- Demonstrate food prep skills
- Apply principles of nutrition
- Adapt restaurant procedures to meet changing needs
- Manage food purchases, facility layout, storage, inventory and cost control
- Supervise kitchen employees
- Design menus
- Recommend new or modify business planning