D. Additional requirements prior to beginning any nursing program clinical courses:
1. Complete an online Caregiver Background Check. In accordance with Wisconsin Caregiver Background law, applicants with criminal history may be denied placement at clinical affiliate sites. Additionally, legislative code rules state that a graduate may have difficulty obtaining a license if they have an arrest or conviction record that is substantially related to nursing practice. The program administrator is available to discuss concerns in this area. You may also visit the Department of Safety and Professional Services for more information. www.dsps.wi.gov
2. Completion of Background Information Disclosure Form (BID): You will be asked to disclose all criminal events in your background. If you submit a form that does not disclose all criminal activity it may preclude the student from being able to complete the program. Any crime relating to the use of violence, drugs, theft or any kind of fraud will limit your ability to register for particular clinical sections. It may preclude you from being able to complete the nursing program altogether.
3. Current completion of an American Heart Association Healthcare Provider level CPR course.
4. Completion of a health screening including a physical examination and immunization records. Required immunizations include Hepatitis B, Varicella (Chicken Pox), Measles, Mumps and Rubella, Tetanus and Diphtheria.
5. A yearly flu vaccine is required for all students enrolled in nursing courses.
6. 2-step Tuberculosis (TB) skin test within 3 months of starting clinical courses and repeated every year is required. The QuantiFERON Gold TB test is good for 1 year but may not be covered by all insurance companies. Proof of chest X-ray is required if skin testing is not an option.
7. Complete a Functional Abilities Form . This form outlines the physical and mental skills and abilities necessary to become a registered nurse with or without accommodations.
8. Sign an “Acknowledgement of risks/acceptance of responsibility agreement and release” form.