This Monroe Campus program prepares students to provide laboratory support to the food processing, medical, environmental, and agriculture industries. You will learn to conduct or assist in laboratory analysis of food, water, fuel, soil, bodily fluids and other elements. Laboratory science technicians are part of the laboratory team – operating standard laboratory equipment, performing tests and experiments and documenting the results. Graduates will have a strong basis in scientific principles, quality methodology and documentation, and laboratory equipment and testing methodologies.
Career opportunities for program graduates include entry-level positions such as agriculture and food lab assistant, medical laboratory assistant, environmental science technician assistant, and quality assurance laboratory assistant. This program is a great way to begin a career in the rapidly growing field of bio-technology. Employment opportunities locally and statewide are projected to increase for Laboratory Technician Assistants through the year 2014.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Apply modern laboratory methodologies including problem solving and troubleshooting
- Perform and report results of laboratory tests
- Practice laboratory safety and regulatory compliance
- Monitor and evaluate quality control in the laboratory
- Model professional behavior, ethics, and appearance appropriate to the laboratory setting
- Demonstrate quantitative reasoning skills and apply critical thinking skills to a variety of disciplines