The Medical Coding Specialist Program prepares individuals for employment as entry-level coding specialists in health care facilities such as hospitals, clinics, physician practice groups, surgery centers, long-term care facilities and home health care agencies. Coding specialists are also employed in consulting firms, coding and billing services, insurance companies, govern-mental agencies and computer software companies.
The Medical Coding Specialist reviews medical documentation provided by physicians and other health care providers and translates this into numeric codes. The coding specialist assigns and sequences diagnostic and procedural codes using universally recognized coding systems. Several uses of coded data are for payment of health care claims, statistics and medical research.
Note: The field of medical coding is changing rapidly. This program is best suited for individuals that are currently working in the medical field or those that have prior work experience in health information management.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Assign diagnostic and procedure codes using ICD coding systems
- Assign diagnostic and procedure codes using CPT coding systems
- Adhere to Security/Privacy/Confidentiality policies
- Use computers to process information
- Support data collection and reimbursement system
- Communicate in a professional manner
- Model professional behaviors, ethics and appearance
- Typing skills
- Completion of Compass test with acceptable scores
- Basic computer knowledge – word processing skills preferred
- Related work experience in health care or medical records preferred
- Ability to use internet for research