2013 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Tax time is upon us again. This can be nerve-racking because everyone wants their taxes done correctly. Working in conjunction with the IRS, Blackhawk Technical College will again be offering Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA) to help lower income families and elderly citizens.
Under the guidance of instructors, Patti DeGarmo and Kay Fratianne, second-year, BTC accounting and administrative professional students can help you file accurate and timely tax returns. This is a FREE SERVICE, approved by the Internal Revenue Service.
Participating students are trained in tax preparation and the use of electronic filing software to process return information. Services are limited to common filing requirements and not all tax situations qualify for the VITA services. Client information is handled in a confidential and professional manner.
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Appointments are for low income families (under $49,000 or elderly). To set up a time, call 608-743-4577. Appointments are on Tuesdays, between 1 and 3:15 p.m., February 5 to April 2.
ITEMS YOU NEED TO BRING
- Proof of identification (Picture ID)
- Social Security Card for you, spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (i.e. W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check.
WE DO NOT PREPARE
- Married filing separate
- Head of household for married taxpayers
- Schedule C, E and F forms
- Incomes over $49,000 per year
Contact Patti DeGarmo at firstname.lastname@example.org