Blackhawk Technical College may grant course credit for students enrolled in academic coursework at BTC who feel they have acquired knowledge equivalent to college credit through work, apprenticeship, business, industrial, military or experiential experience.
- Students may inquire about competency assessment at the Student Development Office within Student Services.
- If the student decides to pursue earning credits this way, the student will request a Credit for Prior Learning Form from the Career and Counseling Office and must provide supporting documentation as evidence of skill and knowledge earned.
- The form will be completed and sent with the supporting documentation to the appropriate Division Dean or Program Coordinator for their review and approval.
- After the assessment is completed, it will be sent to the Registrar to be recorded on the student's permanent academic record. All supporting documentation will be returned to the student for their portfolio.
- Life-Long Learning credits and other transfer work can not amount to more than 75% of credits used towards a degree or certificate.
Documentation which might be included, but is not limited to just the following:
- Cover letter describing the rationale for the request for credit
- Resume detailing work experience
- Job description (current or past duties that relate to the course)
- Portfolios or E-folios (work samples and examples)
- Reference(s) from current or past employer(s)
- Certification verification, license, and/or recognition
- Military service documentation
There is no fee for this assessment to be completed.