The Fire Protection Technician program offers the student an exciting career in fire protection, fire prevention and fire engineering. The field of fire science is concerned with the preservation of life and property from fire and related hazards. The fire protection technician is a highly-skilled specialist with a unique blend of technical knowledge, management abilities, and public education and communication skills. Graduates are ideally suited to careers in public and private fire protection. Another area of employment opportunity exists in the field of sales and service with companies which manufacture and distribute fire protection equipment and related supplies. Expanding industrialization and population growth have created new fire problems which must be solved. In this area, the fire protection technician can be part of the team to design and research the answers to solve these problems which are making many demands upon communities, business, and industry.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate professional conduct by displaying a personal code of ethics, positive work ethics, flexibility, teamwork skills, physical fitness, safe procedures, and sensitivity to diverse cultures and individuals
- Perform fire prevention activities including preplanning, public education, inspection, and investigation
- Communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and through written documentation with clients, coworkers, other agencies and supervisors
- Apply incident management skills to emergency incidents
- Meet professional fire and EMS credentialing standards
- This series is for all who wish to be certified by the State of Wisconsin. The emphasis is on skilled hands-on training. All classes require a Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) test for certification at the completion of each course.