The GED and HSED are computer-based high school equivalency tests that measure skills expected of high school graduates. The General Educational Development (GED) certificate is accepted by most employers, technical colleges, and community colleges. However, some employers, universities, and branches of the military require a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED). 

Blackhawk provides flexible and supportive options to complete the GED/HSED requirements. With flexible lab times at three locations, and instructor-led classes at our Central Campus, students have many options to prepare for the GED/HSED tests. 

Testing Locations

  • Central Campus, 6004 S County Rd G, Janesville, WI 53546, (608) 758-7666 
  • Beloit Public Library, 605 Eclipse Boulevard, Beloit, WI 53511, (608) 757-6965
  • Monroe Campus, 210 4th Avenue, Monroe, WI 53566, (608) 328-1660

How do I get started?

You decide – are you ready to test now or do you want to take classes to help you prepare?

Option 1: Register for Classes (at a BTC location)

  • Apply to Blackhawk Technical College and select GED/HSED as your program
  • Schedule your TABE test at one of the BTC locations (within six months of applying)
  • Attend the Returning to Learning Orientation
  • Register for Classes

Option 2: Study On Your Own

  • Apply to Blackhawk Technical College 
  • Select GED/HSED as your program
  • Schedule your TABE test at one of the BTC locations (within six months of applying)
  • Attend the Returning to Learning Orientation
  • Complete the BTC GED Online Orientation*
  • Schedule your test through your GED account

*Per the State of Wisconsin, GED/HSED examinees are required to attend an orientation session prior to testing. You will not be able to register for tests or pay testing fees prior to fulfilling this requirement. If you have completed a GED Orientation (at BTC or elsewhere), you are ready to schedule your test.

Please Note: You must be a Wisconsin resident and at least 18 ½ years old to attend a GED Orientation.

To schedule an orientation session, please contact the Testing Center at (608) 757-7666.

Orientation sessions are by appointment only. On the day of orientation, please bring your photo identification and know your social security number in order to register with the GED Testing Service.

Please note: You will need to have a GED/HSED account prior to attending orientation. If you do not have an account, visit to create an account.

group of graduates smiling in the hallway

Test Overviews

The GED test consists of the following:

The GED tests are computer-based high school equivalency tests that measure skills expected of high school graduates.

The tests and prices are:
  • Science ($33.75)
  • Social Studies ($33.75)
  • Mathematical Reasoning ($33.75)
  • Reasoning through Language Arts ($33.75)
  • Civics ($10.00)

The HSED includes all GED tests and:

  • A Health Test or health credit listed on a high school transcript (no cost)
  • Employability Skills Test (no cost)

In-Person Testing Requirements

  • When you register for your GED test, you will receive an email from Pearson VUE explaining ID requirements. Be sure to read the email carefully. You will not be allowed to test if you do not meet the exam identification requirements.   
  • Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to the testing site. Testing begins promptly at the scheduled time.  
  • You are required to provide one valid form of identification. The ID must be government-issued and not expired. It must include your name, address, date of birth, signature, and photo. The following forms of ID are acceptable: passport, driver's license, national or state ID card, or any other government-issued ID (national or foreign), including Matricula Consular.   
  • Coats, hats, cell phones, smart watches, purses/handbags, portable music players, any food or drink items, textbooks, etc. will need to be locked in secure storage while at the Testing Center. 

What happens after testing?

Upon passing all of the official GED/HSED requirements, your diploma will be issued by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI). If you do not receive your diploma, or want to request GED transcripts, please visit

Frequently Asked Questions

Additional information about the GED & HSED:

A person must reside in Wisconsin for at least 10 days, or be a migrant worker or the child of a migrant worker in order to be eligible for Wisconsin's High School Equivalency Diploma or Certificate of General Educational Development.

A person must also be at least 18½ years of age or have proof that the class they entered 9th grade with has graduated.

There are a number of opportunities offered at or through BTC to help adults prepare for the GED/HSED test. Classes, computer-assisted instruction and individualized instruction are available. Based on the location, classes can be available during the day and night. There is no cost for the class; however, material fees may be charged and students may wish to purchase books. No guarantee can be made, but enrollment in preparatory classes has proved to be one of the surest methods leading up to successful performance on the GED/HSED tests. Our Learning Centers offer the course work option for health and civic literacy.

It will depend on what grade you dropped out of, how long it's been since you were in school, and what you have been doing in that time. How much time you dedicate to studying for the tests will also affect the total time it takes to obtain your diploma. Some students can pass all four exams in one month, while other students will take a year or longer to finish.

Most employers today require at least a high school diploma or the equivalent. GED is the acronym for the tests of General Educational Development that were developed by the American Council on Education and are administered in Wisconsin at testing sites approved by the state superintendent and GED Testing Service. The GED test consists of a battery of tests to measure competency in math, science, social studies, and language arts. Persons who pass only the GED test battery qualify for a GED certificate issued by the Department of Public Instruction.

HSED is the acronym for High School Equivalency Diploma, which consists of the GED test battery as well as health, employability skills, and career awareness.


Contact Information

Testing Center
(608) 757-7666
WI Relay: 711

person stamping piece of paper

Requesting GED/HSED Transcripts

You may order a copy of your GED or HSED transcript by completing the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) form.

Employers, colleges and universities who need to verify that a candidate has a GED or HSED from Wisconsin are able to request this information directly from DPI.

Order GED/HSED Transcripts
© 2023, Blackhawk Technical College. All rights reserved.